Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Grandmother

I was going to email you guys individually, but decided this would be fastest and most effective way to spread the word! I guess my family knows that Ma Ma has been in the hospital with fluid build up, kidney problems, infection, lung problems, and had taken a turn for the worse. My brother called me last night and said we should go see her ASAP. So Kris and I went to see Ma Ma today: she's had a few bad days, and all were concerned this could be the final turn for the worse. I'm happy to report that she is doing better today. She ate breakfast, sat up for a while, talked a good bit, took a short nap, and overall seemed her happy, cheerful self. She even said the menu at the hospital was wonderful! (Kris asked if she was delirious)
She is still very sick. She does have congestive heart failure: her heart is unable to pump effectively so the fluid is building up throughout her body. Luckily, her arms are much better, and her legs are following suit. She also has an infection on her leg that I'm a little concerned about, and is extremely weak. She is on oxygen and a special machine that helps her breathe at night. She did get exhausted just talking, and couldn't hold her cup up by herself, but with time and the proper therapy she could recover. SHe is confident that God will do His will in His time and is not afraid: although she did say that she hates being alone! Aunt Emily has been staying at night and Uncle Langdon and Aunt Barbara during the day. They are wonderful nurses: very calm, loving, nice to the nurses: overall, a good situation for Ma Ma to heal and recover. We even talked about rehab and taking her home when the time comes. I would recommend that you go and see her if possible, as she is still herself! The doctor says she always smiles: even with the mask on! So use your judgement: she was so happy to see any visitors, and would love to see you I'm sure. I'm so glad we went. I have to work the next 12 days, so I'm glad we were able to make it today. Please keep her in your prayers.

2 Comments:

At 1/25/2007 8:45 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Thanks so much for the update. I'm relieved she's more like her normal self...I was afraid she would not be alert and in a lot of pain. I'm discussing w/ Jeff whether we can visit or not this weekend.

 
At 1/25/2007 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your Ma Ma was feeling better today and y'all were able to go see her. I remember staying at her house with y'all...she was the sweetest lady! We'll keep her in our prayers...please keep us posted.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home